The Great Grilled Cheese Off
With summer winding down, we wanted to give a warm sendoff to one of our favorite seasons by celebrating the perfect midday summer snack; an easy-to-make ooey gooey grilled cheese sandwich. So for our cook-off competition, the Great Grilled Cheese Off, each team member was put to the test to make the best grilled cheese sandwich.
In typical Vitamin style though, we decided to exercise a little creativity with our sandwiches. From blueberries to Siracha, we had a lot of wacky (yet delicious) ingredients pop up in our array of cheesy goodness.
Mike created a sandwich called John Popper, filled with jalapenos, Monterey jack and mild cheddar cheese.
Amanda wowed the team with her Grilled Turkwiss, a yummy blend of turkey and swiss cheese.
Nikki’s sandwich (appropriately dubbed Something Sweet-ish), was filled with blueberries, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, Havarti cheese and spinach.
Doug rose to the culinary occasion (as usual) with The G.O.A.T.; a delicious combination of fig preserves, fresh basil, caramelized onions, Chèvre, fresh ground black pepper and a balsamic reduction for garnish and dipping.
Amanda G.’s sandwich, Granny’s Grilled Cheese, was quite unique; a cheesy culinary creation filled with sharp white cheddar, mozzarella, honey Dijon mustard, bacon and granny smith apples.
And Steve’s crab salad, avocado and Siracha sandwich, called the Crabocado Melt, was another hit.
Served with hot tomato soup, crunchy chips and cool dill pickles on the side, this was one of our most filling cook-offs yet!
Alright, alright, I’m sure you’re all waiting for a shot of the winning sammie. Well, give a big congratulations to Amanda G. for receiving a high score of 104 points for her Granny’s Grilled Cheese sandwich!
Intrigued? You should be. Here’s the recipe for the prized sandwich:
- Potato bread, two slices
- Bacon, four strips, cooked
- Honey Dijon mustard
- Granny smith apple
- Extra sharp white cheddar, two slices
- Fresh mozzarella, one slice
1. Prep by slicing extra thin pieces of the granny smith apple. Set aside. Cook bacon. Set aside. Butter both pieces of bread on one side. Preheat griddle to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add a thin layer of honey Dijon mustard to the non-buttered side of one of the potato bread slices.
3. Place two slices of extra sharp white cheddar cheese over the honey Dijon mustard layer.
4. Add one slice of fresh mozzarella cheese over the white cheddar cheese layer.
5. Place four strips of bacon over the mozzarella layer (cut bacon to fit to bread width).
6. Add three extra thin slices of granny smith apple to the bacon layer.
7. Place the other slice of potato bread on top of your layered sandwich, buttered side up.
8. Cook one side of the completed sandwich on the griddle for three minutes, or until the bread is browned. Flip and repeat.